I never really regretted leaving Rockford and moving to Austin, but when you leave somewhere without exactly all your i’s dotted and t’s crossed it is like pushing off on a raft into the ocean and aiming generally for the opposite coast. You start looking for signs along the way that you are on the right current. A dove with a sprig wouldn’t go amiss if you know what I mean.
So far my experience in Austin has been wonderful and there’s been a lot of sprigs along the way.
- I have tickets to an early screening of the new Star Trek movie. Finally, I live in a city that gets early screenings of things. Yes, I listed this first.
- Speaking of movies, Alamo Drafthouse is awesome.
- Austin is way more gluten free/celiac friendly than Rockford. It wouldn’t take much, but even the attitudes are different. I told my new coworkers about my condition and instead of immediately thinking about how it might inconvenience them they asked smart questions, listened to my experience, and were supportive. No grand gestures or anything, but it was a relief the script went differently for once.
- I have a short list of restaurants where I can eat. And while that list is under ten that’s considerably better than what I had available before. Add in options like Snap Kitchen and Austin finishes Rockford off with a roundhouse kick.
- I got tickets to see Airborne Toxic Event and Metric coming up in May.
- Rockford rose to number three in the Most Miserable Cities list. It had been seven. My friend C_ said that the ranking changed because I moved away. Aw. :)
- Oh, I got a job. That’s always a good sign moving was the right thing.
- There is good bubble tea here. That probably should have been on the top.
- I’m looking into riding the train to work. Public transportation! I could read a book to and from work instead of trying not to commit vehicular manslaughter.
What else is going on?
TV: My favorite shows right now are The Following, Person of Interest, Elementary, The Americans, and Scandal. Community, Happy Endings, Parks and Rec, and New Girl obviously round out the comedy side of things. My favorite show of questionable quality is Nashville.
Soccer: I bought tickets to see Reign play the Red Stars in Chicago in August. Right by the goal. I can’t wait! Oh, yeah. I’m visiting my parents that week too. Overlap was completely coincidental. Yeah.
Books: I just finished Dispatches From the Edge by Anderson Cooper. I used to watch him back in the day on Channel One. Now he’s all grown up. While the parts about Katrina were certainly interesting, my political memory lives further in the past. The Bosnia portions were surreal.